The Riviera Maya seems to be back in fashion after the world did not end on December 21, 2012. Tourism is up, the media has decided that the Riviera Maya is the location destination of the decade, no kidding, and it seems that beach vacations are back in style. Did they ever go out of style? Not sure, as we love the beach and don’t think of it as stylish, we think of it as a way of life. Since the highlighted Maya End-of-the-world-which-never-happened is over, seems other people are starting to realize that the Mayan Riviera is not just about beaches…….check out why we love the Mayan Riviera and Playa del Carmen.
1. Amazing beaches. This side of Mexico has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and they are all open to the public. The white sandy beaches, the clear blue wates of the Caribbean ocean, fun places to sit and the sound of the waves….the Riviera Maya, whether it be Playa Del Carmen, Tulum, Akumal, or any spots in between, are great beaches to hang out in, are quiet, are great for snorkeling and diving. There are some beach clubs that provide great music and a lively atmosphere for those who want company, but there are some great peaceful areas that provide visitors with a quiet moment.
2. Cultural Experiences The Riviera Maya provides lots of mexican cultural experiences, from trips to the Ruins, events, dining experiences, activities and jungle excursions. Roaming down 5th Ave. can be enough of an adventure to make anyone happy. On Thursdays, local artists are displaying their art in a project called ‘Caminarte’ where pedestrians can admire, or purchase local art. The international melting pot that Playa is most famous for makes every interaction a cultural experience. Though the area is prodimently Mayan, there is so much more to learn and experience
3. Outdoor Activities. The diversity of outdoor activities is vast, and it can be as simple as a walk on the beach to some of the worlds most extreme sports and experiences. Cave diving, jungle excursions, parasailing, turtle watching, you name it, this area has it. Coming soon is the infamous Bull shark observation dives where certified divers can observe bull sharks in their natural habitat…no feeding allowed, this is an educational and interesting dive for those who want to see these amazing creatures in their homes…
4. International Wining and Dining This is one of our favorite activities and as Playa Del carmen and the area as grown, so has the wining and dining experiences. Tacos, seafood and vegetarian meals are offered by over 700 eateries in Playa del carmen alone and gives any visitor more choices than they would imagine could be in one place. Local restaurants are building wine and food events each week so that they can enrich the dining experience of those who choose this area for thier vacation. Mexico is not just about tacos anymore…it is a full culinary experience where chefs try out new mixes and fixes for their guests.
5. Chill Factor. Vacations are about letting our daily lives go for a bit and stretching our hearts and souls. |It is about letting go and relaxing and that means many different things to many different people. The Riviera Maya understands that everyone has different ideas as to what a vacation is, and accommodates the needs of many. Determine what you want to do and you will find it here. No one is left out in the cold, everyone can find something that makes them happy, engages them and leaves them renewed and refreshed when they go home.
6. Accessible. Cancun Airport is an accessible airport from many destinations in the world. In the high season months there are many charters that fly directly from your airport to Cancun. This makes for an easy and pleasurable ride. With airlines looking to increase travel, the prices are hitting rock bottom, so check out the charters that fly from your area.
It is not surprising that this area was named in 4 of the 10 best destination spots for a vacation. If you know the Riviera Maya, you understand. If you dont know this area, it’s time to investigate this popular and diverse vacation destination.